Bathroom remodels are expensive propositions for homeowners, but sometimes they are very much a necessity. If your bathroom is dark, dingy, or looking years out-of-date a bath renovation is the best solution to preserve function and your home value.
There are some ways you can cut costs with a bathroom remodel, even with the unavoidable expense of a bathtub or shower replacement. Here are a few ideas you might want to consider.
DIY Versus Hiring a Contractor
Do-It-Yourselfers have an advantage when it comes to renovations on any part of the home because they can avoid the labor costs of hiring a contractor. Unless you have special training in certain areas of home improvement, such as electrical or plumbing work, you’ll be limited in what you can do.
A bath remodeling company can take care of every part of a renovation from replumbing to painting the walls. Of course, this increases the costs associated with your home improvement project, but you are getting the services of a trained professional in return.
What can you do as a DIYer to save money on that home remodel?
- Painting walls
- Add wainscoting
- Re-tile the shower and floors
- Replace linoleum floors
- Re-grout and add fresh silicone
- Refinish the vanity and cabinets
- Install accessories, like a towel warmer
- Replace the mirror
If you have a little bit of remodeling knowledge or are looking for a challenge you can also try replacing the existing cabinets and sink, toilet, or lighting. These projects can usually be accomplished without having to install new electrical wire or plumbing.
Other Ways to Save Money
You can also reduce costs during your bath renovation by trying out these tips. They are relatively easy to implement and won’t delay your project. Check out the following:
- Avoid Complex Projects: The minute you rearrange that bathroom layout or tear down walls you are adding thousands to the project quote. Just focus on updates or simple switches, like a tub-to-shower conversion.
- Limit Accessories: You can hire the contractor to complete a bath renovation without the finishing touches, such as replacing the toilet and bath without installing towel warmers or floor tile.
- Use Plain Colors/Patterns: Decorative finishes, elaborate tile patterns, and certain materials all add to the expense of the project. Use commonly found materials, decor, and colors to keep costs down.
- Explore Financing Promotions: You can make the cost of renovating your bathroom easier to manage by signing up for special bathroom remodel offers, like zero-money down or zero percent interest for one year.
If you are interested in finding more ways to renovate your bathroom without breaking your budget, reach out to Home Concepts Custom Remodeling. We help Phoenix area homeowners transform their bathrooms on any budget. Give us a call or fill out our online form to ask about a complimentary consultation with a bathroom designer today.
Subscribe to Home Concepts Custom Remodeling's Blog